Monday 3 January 2011

2010 - year in review


2010 marked the first full year of blogging for me. I loved every second of it, letting myself be driven by The Circle of Inspiration that this outside world is, Twitter, Blogs and comments all leading one to the other. On a side note, I commented an estimated 150-200 times on other people's blogs

At the end of the year I made an extraordinary effort to squeeze out 100 posts exactly. With an average of 8 for every month, that meant December saw 12 posts - not every one of them that toned down and razor-sharp as I would have liked it

Disclaimer number two: my stats don't cover the full year. I didn't enable Google Analytics until somewhere in June / July, so what you get is what you see up there: stats for half the year

Disclaimer number three: I have stats from Google Analytics, and Blogger - and they don't look the least alike. Judge for yourself on the following few stats: Google Analytics gives me 4,796 unique visitors for the entire site and 12,741 pageviews, Blogger stats (doesn't do visitors) gives me 27,832 pageviews.
Now I'm flattered at the thought of almost 5,000 unique people visiting my blog, but only 60% coming back for another visit is not really what I had in mind.
Even taking browser stats makes for hard comparison: GA says it's 38-23-17 for Firefox-Chrome-IE, Blogger stats says it's 40-9-27 - but they measure, again, in pageviews, and not visits.
So, let's go to top content:
  1. Generations, Social and Enterprise: adopt vs adapt
  2. Enterprise 2.0: The Prodigal Parent
  3. Larry's magic numbers - bite him in the butt
according to Blogger stats, that is, with 1,711 - 1,076 and 765 views. GA puts Larry at fourth and throws in Capgemini's comma-splice: results over people? at place three, and gives those three 731 - 586 - 555 pageviews.
"What is wisdom?" is what we say in NL, when having to make a tough decision. The answer usually is, "no idea".

I could even throw in my stats from dlvr.it but I know for sure they're way off as they rely greatly on Twitter and their API, and the two of them have been known to not get along very well over the last months - which has been perfectly communicated by dlvr.it, by the way
Update January 4th 22:45 CET: I am proud of the current stats. Based on an average of 20-30 views per ReTweet I encounter "in the wild", I'll go for the Blogger stats rather than the Google Analytics ones, after all the former is closest to the source.
I only use Twitter to publish my blog posts, and had 250 followers at the beginning of 2010, and almost 1,000 at the end. Averaging out to 600, that means I had some 55,000 views with 100 posts; equaling 92% of my entire Twitter network viewing every single post I put up - something I won't beat myself this year, I think
So, what is it? well, here it is:
  • I have had great fun setting up this blog last year, and getting people to ReTweet it or comment to it. I set up personal pages, redesigned the entire template, added widgets, gadgets, Lawd knows what. I syndicated a few at Capgemini's Technology blog (Capping IT Off), one or two on ZDNet and I now regularly syndicate at CloudAve.
  • I've had CIO's, CTO's and CEO's comment here, among others from Amplify, Yammer and SocialMediaToday. CxO's from Klout are too afraid to comment here, they just read my posts and then hurry along - not what I had in mind but it certainly is some form of tribute I guess...
  • I loved writing my top post about Social, E2.0, and what it means to adopt versus adapt. I left that as a going-away present for Capgemini, finishing off that era nicely I think
  • I was thrilled to write Enterprise 2.0: The Prodigal Parent, the post that stirred up the E20-socbiz debate and set off an entire chain reaction of posts, not the least by Andrew McAfee, Dennis Howlett and many others. Now the dust has settled, I can safely conclude that most agree on a need for change in culture and organisation, with which tools could be of some assistance. Still, business cases aren't flying around like geese in Cockaigne
  • I greatly enjoyed all the comments, tweets, remarks, cross-posts, mentions, and the entire chain of creation. The best thing that happened to me?
After publishing a great post, I get great comments and meet fantastic new people to follow on Twitter - and that leads to yet bigger and better posts in the end

Thank you all. I hope you enjoyed reading some of my posts. I intend to write a whole lot more!

0 reacties:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! Copy your comment before signing in...