Friday 19 November 2010

E1.0 is childhood, E2.0 is adolescence


Our oldest daughter is starting to become an adolescent. Even from a distance, you can see and sometimes almost feel the hormones racing through her little kids' body. It's part of life and a process to undergo, but Oh my - what a ride. Did time erode the memories of my own adolescence? I guess it did

A while ago the thought crossed my mind
@hjarche @esauve Most enterprises are like families where the kids are 30-40, still living there and still treated as kids #wirearchy
and I tweeted that

Today I'm reading Dennis Howlett's post "How to fix the social anything bind", who wrote that in reaction to Esteban Kolsky's post "What Did Maslow Know About Customer Centricity? It Ain’t Happening!" - both are about Maslov and his Hierarchy of Needs

Esteban and Dennis agree on the fact that something's holding back the employee and the enterprise. Esteban argues it's the lack of job security, Dennis argues it's the lack of crisis - and neither are right. We have plenty of job security in Europe, and last time I checked we had plenty of global crisis

I most strongly disagree with the needed presence of an outside force - that fits into the eternal victim-role people like to push themselves in when they've created a problem they think they can't handle: it's the "Gee I wish"-attitude that makes you postpone and eventually cancel any action at all

I know countless people that dislike or even hate their job, yet don't take any action. An often-heard argument is "I'm waiting for the next round of lay-offs to be offered redundancy".
I know of a few people who still live with their parents and say they don't like it, but complain about how housing prices are keeping them from leaving.
Both situations sound a lot like waiting for Salvation to me

It is the kids that uphold such families: as long as they stay, nothing changes. It is the employees who uphold such enterprises: as long as they wait for the second coming, another 2,000 years will be wasted - and even then we'll probably not agree on E2.0 being nothing new (...)

What is holding back these grown-up kids, and these enterprise adults? Fear is

Just like hormones are giving my daughter the body of a grown up, grown-up kids are offered the possibility of living on their own, and employees have the chance to relocate themselves within or outside their current company

Is that the key to their future? No, it's only the door. The key is Confidence, Trust, Love - only with that in hand you can comfortably open The Door. Fear is hiding that key. Fear of the unknown, fear of losing what you have - even if you dislike it, fear of not knowing what's coming.
That fear paralyses, like a bunny in headlights

Monotheistic religions thrive on fear. Most religions do. Religiots threaten you with a big unknown at the end of your life.
Politics thrive on fear: they divide all the neighbours in a street, all the people in a town, they even divide people who religiously agree with one another. Politicians threaten you with a big unknown at the end of their party's reign.
Enterprises thrive on fear. The fear of EOY appraisal, the fear of unfair KPI measurement, the fear of (lack of) promotion, the fear of (lack of) pay raise, etcetera.
Enterprises threaten you with a big unknown at end-of-year

Adolescence scares you with a big unknown at the end of childhood. But when the time has come to grow along with the change of seasons, resistance is futile. Just let go, and go along with the flow - the other side of the coin of course says that it's equally futile to want to grow up at the age of e.g. 5...

Offering enterprise people social tools (allegedly thus making the transition from E1.0 to E2.0) is nothing more than offering a kid an adolescent body: before reaching maturity -purely by itself!- there will be a long, wild and violent struggle

2 reacties:

Dennis Howlett said...

I"m not really following this argument. It's a bit strong to say 'wrong' because these things are contextual. I think you've misread what I've said. I was talking about a corporate crisis, not one at an individual level. There's a very big difference. Corporate America (which is largely where I was directing this) does behave in a very specific way that reflects what I am saying but I think there are broader dynamics at play.

Martijn Linssen said...

Thank you Dennis, but I'm not saying you're wrong - just saying you aren't right.
I should have added the word "completely", however, as I do agree with you both - but don't believe that's all there is to it

I interpreted "your" crisis as a corporate crisis; "my" crisis is corporate as well as individual, it has become a chicken-and-egg situation

Yes, job security helps, yes, corporate crisis makes for a very compelling business-case that CxO's can grasp

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! Copy your comment before signing in...